There is little more Cornish than a Cream Tea! Making scones with Kefir is absolutely delicious. The Kefir is like using buttermilk so you get a delicious scone, light fluffy, with a buttery tang. If you have second fermented your Kefir with Lemon or Orange, you get a citrus hint that tastes fantastic. We enjoy a Kefir Scone Cornish Cream Tea on our course days.
Recipe – For a dozen scones (12).
- 400g (14 oz) plain flour
- 100g (3 3/4 oz) caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 3/4 tsp salt (Sea Salt
- 175g (6 oz) soft butter
- 250ml (8 floz) Kefir (you can use the separated Whey if you have made Kefir Cheese or just use your homemade Kefir.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (Gas Mark 7).
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the soft butter and cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a fork until the mixture resembles dry breadcrumbs. Add the Kefir and mix. The dough should be a bit moist, if its too dry add more Kefir, if its too wet add more flour. Roll half the dough into a ball and flatten on floured surface. Cut into six equal pieces using a scone cutter. Repeat with the remaining dough to make 12 scones.
- Place on ungreased baking paper/non stick baking tray and bake for 12 minutes. For a glaze you can brush buttermilk on top and sprinkle with sugar before baking if desired. In the photos i have used just a brush of Kefir.